Test-Taking Tips for Online Exams
A- Before You Start The Test (read more)
B- Preparing Your Computer (read more)
C- During the Test (read more)
D- Completing the Test (read more)
E- After the Test (read more)
A- Before You Start the Test
- Be certain that you are ready to take the test and set aside time in which you will be free from interruptions BEFORE clicking on the link to the test.
- Find out the dates that the test will be available in the course and don't wait until the last minute to take the test!
- Find a reliable computer and once you start a test, finish the test without leaving!
B- Preparing Your Computer
- Close down all other programs running on your computer.
- Check your settings:
- America Online (AOL) is not officially campatible with Blackboard or Moodle.
- If you use "a dial-up modem" to connect to the Internet, turn off "call waiting" and make sure no one picks up the phone and disconnects you from the Internet.
- Wireless connections are easily disrupted and may result in loss of test.
- Disable popup blockers as some tests will open in a new window.
- Disable firewalls before taking the test.
- Enable your browser's status bar so you see the timer for timed tests.
- Verify that you have the minimum System Requirements.
- Check your internet connections.
- Read the instructions for the test carefully:
- Some tests may be taken more than once. Your instructor will inform you.
- Some tests may require that they be completed in one sitting (force completion).
- Some tests may be timed.
- Review your test type:
- Some tests show all the questions at once and permit backtracking.
- Some tests show one question at a time and may not permit backtracking to a prior question.
C- During the Test
- Do not:
- Double-click when starting a test. Exams regard the first click as an attempt to take the test; the second click is read as a second attempt and will block access!
- Open any other windows, surf the net, or visit any other websites while taking a test or your work may be lost.
- Clicking the Back button or the Refresh button on your web browser or may kick you out of the test. Use the scroll bar to move back.
- Click Submit, Next or Save more than once on the same question may cause test errors. It may take a few moments to receive confirmation or move to the next question.
- Close the window of the test for any reason.
- Click on a blank area when using a mouse with a scroll wheel to ensure you do not inadvertently change an answer when scrolling.
- Save your work often during the test using the Save button.
- Answer all of the questions.
D- Completing the Test
- Review all of your answers before submitting the test.
- Make sure to click the Submit button when you are done with the test.
- Click Submit ONLY ONCE.
E- After the Test
- If you get locked out of the test, contact your instructor.
- If the instructor allows students to view their grades, view them by click Student Tools then My Grades.
- Relax!!! You are done with the test.